Military & Veterans

One of few institutions to earn the Military Friendly distinction in the United States, Alvernia University serves military veterans through participation in GI Bill benefits, the Yellow Ribbon Program, military credit, vocational rehabilitation, tuition and education assistance and state grants.

Overview of the GI Bill

Active duty military members and veterans may apply for educational benefits through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. The Harry W. Colmery Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2017, a.k.a. the Forever GI Bill, has incorporated many changes to veterans’ benefits and broadens the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

Some of the changes through the Forever GI Bill include:

  • The removal of the 15-year time limit for the use of benefits for those who were eligible for Post-9/11 Bill benefits
  • Allowing those who have received a Purple Heart on or after Sept. 11, 2001, to have Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits at the 100-percent level for up to 36 months
  • Allowing Purple Heart and Fry Scholarship recipients to be covered under the Yellow Ribbon Program
  • Authorizing National Guard and Reserve members to receive Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits
  • Increased benefit levels
  • Permitting active duty service members to use Yellow Ribbon Program benefits (effective Aug. 1, 2022)

Yellow Ribbon Program

A provision of the GI Bill, the Yellow Ribbon Program provides payments for tuition and fees, along with a books and supplies stipend, for veterans who have served on active duty since Sept. 11, 2001. In order to qualify for the Yellow Ribbon Program, veterans must be eligible for the 100 percent Post-9/11 GI Bill amount. Alvernia University is a proud participant in the program and will match the agreements with the Department of Veterans Affairs to pay for a veteran’s education.

Benefits of the Yellow Ribbon Program

  • Free tuition and fees
  • Book and supplies allowance
  • Applicable to all of Alvernia’s online programs

Are You Eligible to Take Advantage of the GI Bill?

In order to receive GI Bill benefits, you must:

  • Be a veteran who served at least 30 days of continuous active duty service after Sept. 10, 2001, and be discharged because of a service-connected disability or have served 90 days of active duty after Sept. 10, 2001, and received honorable discharge
  • Be a Purple Heart or Fry Scholarship recipient
  • Be a service member in the National Guard or Reserve

How Your Veterans Benefits Work

Bachelor’s Degree

Full-Time Tuition100%
Post-9/11 GI Bill Academic Year Cap35%
Remaining Balance65%
Yellow Ribbon Program32.5%
Alvernia’s Yellow Ribbon Program Match32.5%
Final Balance0%

Master’s Degree

Full-Time Tuition100%
Post-9/11 GI Bill Academic Year Cap82%
Remaining Balance18%
Yellow Ribbon Program9%
Alvernia’s Yellow Ribbon Program Match9%
Final Balance0%

Military Credit

As a member of the U.S. military, you may be able to earn credit for military training (including basic training). In order to receive military credits, forward a copy of your Joint Services Transcript (JST) to Alvernia. If you are U.S. Air Force personnel, contact the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) to receive your transcripts.

Want to learn more about military benefits?

Get in touch with an enrollment counselor to find out more.

Other Military Benefits

Vocational Rehabilitation

Those who have suffered a service-related disability while on active duty and require vocational rehabilitation may be eligible for benefits through Chapter 31. For information, you can contact the VA Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor by calling (717) 221-3476 or (717) 221-4445.

Tuition Assistance and the Education Assistance Program

Those serving active duty or are in the Selected Reserves or National Guard may be eligible for tuition assistance through their service.

Army National Guard and Air National Guard members in the state of Pennsylvania may be eligible to receive 100 percent tuition assistance for full-time enrollment (at least 12 credits per semester) or 50 percent for part-time enrollment through the Education Assistance Program (EAP).

To determine eligibility and obtain forms for either program, contact your unit of assignment or service education office.

State Grant for Veterans

For veterans who served in active duty and have been a resident of Pennsylvania for one year, have honorable discharge, are enrolled at least one-half time in an approved program for at least two academic years, and are not in default of an educational loan may be eligible for a state grant. For information, call PHEAA at 1-800-692-7392.

Additional Resources

You can find information regarding benefits for veterans at the links below:

Military FAQs

    Get Started

    Call Us At (888) 536-1251