Achieve the Highest Level of Nursing Practice
The online Post-Master’s Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) Clinical Leadership Program is designed for master’s-prepared and licensed Advanced Practice Registered Nurses (APRNs) who are seeking a practice doctorate to advance their careers to the highest levels in nursing. APRNs who earn their DNP credential possess the critical skills needed to convert evidence-based care into practice, improve a variety of healthcare systems and to evaluate patient care outcomes on groups of patients, populations and communities.
The curriculum encompasses 35 credits of coursework and a minimum of 375 practicum hours while in the program to achieve a total of 1,000 practicum hours required by the American Association of Colleges of Nursing.
The Alvernia Difference
At Alvernia University, you can earn your degree and reach your goals in a format that works for you.
Learn alongside faculty members with professional expertise in clinical practice, leadership, policy, law, ethics, program development and health economics.
Complete your coursework and manage your current work schedule with the accessibility of online courses.
Dialogue with peers in a pragmatic and ethics-driven environment.
The changing landscape of healthcare creates great opportunities for innovative nursing leaders with a desire to improve the quality of clinical patient care, revamp healthcare education and training or advocate for and develop new healthcare policy.
Courses (35 Credits)
Practice Leadership Courses (16 credits):
- NUR 700 Immersion to the DNP Program
- NUR 701 Theoretical Foundations in DNP
- NUR 702 Ethics, Policy and Advocacy in the Health Care System
- NUR 703 Using Informatics for Quality Improvement
- NUR 704 Local and Global Population-based Health
- NUR 705 Leadership in Organizations and Health Care Systems
Clinical Leadership Practicum (4 credits):
- NUR 800 Clinical Leadership Practicum
- NUR 801 Clinical Leadership Practicum
Evidence-based Scholarly and Practice Inquiry Courses (15 credits):
NUR 802 Applied Statistics for Evidence-based Practice
NUR 803 Translational Research
NUR 804 Evidence-based Scholarly and Practice Inquiry I
NUR 805 Evidence-based Scholarly and Practice Inquiry II
NUR 806 Evidence-based Scholarly and Practice Inquiry III
Admission to the Post-Master’s DNP Clinical Leadership program occurs three times per year. Applications must be received by July 15 for the fall semester, November 15 for the spring semester and March 15 for the summer sessions.
For entrance into the online Post-Master’s DNP Clinical Leadership program, you’ll need to:
- Complete an online application.
- Submit official college transcript(s). Official transcript(s) indicating that the applicant has earned a master’s degree in nursing (MSN) from an ACEN- (formerly NLNAC) or CCNE-accredited program at a college or university.
- Minimum of 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale in an MSN program.
- Completion of an undergraduate statistics and research course with a grade of C or better within five years.
- Three recommendations (preferably from professional nurses with graduate degrees) regarding applicant’s practice and potential for graduate work in nursing.
- Submit current résumé or curriculum vitae.
- Short essay describing short- and long-term professional goals and how participation in Alvernia University’s DNP program will lead to fulfillment of these goals (Guidelines are available on the Alvernia University website).
- Submit a photocopy of current Pennsylvania Registered Nurse License.
- Official statement or letter of the number of practicum or clinical hours completed in the master’s program from the degree-granting institution.
- A meeting with the DNP program director after all required application materials have been received to review the Post-Master’s DNP program curriculum and course schedule.
- Upon admission to the Post-Master’s DNP program, compliance with clinical practice clearances before first practicum course NUR 705: Leadership in Organizations and Health Care Systems
Interested in Alvernia’s On-Campus DNP program, click here to learn more
Online Post-Master’s DNP Clinical Leadership program tuition is $1,000 per credit hour. Visit our financial aid page to learn what options are available to you.